[FreeBSD][Newb] How I use sendmail to send mail?

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Mon Jun 11 16:26:29 UTC 2007

On Sun, Jun 10, 2007 at 10:17:45PM -0700, Bjorn Boulder wrote:
> Well I checked this file:
>
> ll /usr/share/sendmail/cf/README
> -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  183289 Nov  4  2004
> /usr/share/sendmail/cf/README
>
> It's about 50 pages long.
>
> I'm worried that I'd miss something if I try to
> understand all of it.
>
> I need something more dumbed down.
>
> Here is what I want:
>
> 1. I want to send mail
> 2. I don't want to receive mail from the outside
> 3. I do want to receive mail from the box itself.
>
> Actually 3 is not a hard requirement.
>
> Help anyone?

	Since I've used sendmail for a dozen years--largely by hit or
	miss and following others' examples' let me add my two cents'.
	A couple years ago I bought a (used) copy of SENDMAIL (by
	O'Reilly, whose books are usually ++outstanding).  I found the
	book virtually useless.

	It may be only *me*, but when somebody explains something to me,
	I get it.  Reading 50 pages of dry text is like eating sawdust,
	so if you can get one of the text-to-speech apps going, having
	that read parts (or all) of the README might be a big help.

	I see, down-queue, some helpful hints.  I have a bunch of
	cheat-sheet files; how-to's that have things spelled out in
	cookbook form or in practical theory form--things that are easily
	implementable.  My SENDMAIL file is many pages.  Maybe it's
	worth editing and putting up....

	HTH!

	gary

  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix