[FreeBSD][Newb] How I use sendmail to send mail?

Bjorn Boulder bornboulder77 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 10 21:25:56 UTC 2007

People,

I need help with sendmail on my FreeBSD box running:
FreeBSD 5.3

Specifically, I need help using sendmail to send mail.

I inherited this FreeBSD box from a guy who left for
another gig.

The box appears to be stable.  It's been up since Nov
2006
and is running a couple of simple web sites.

The web sites work okay.

We want to put up a 3rd site which needs to send mail
to people who register.

I'm assuming that I need to get sendmail working.

That is, I need it to send mail.

It does not need to receive mail because we are using
google apps to receive all of our mail from the
outside.

It was easy to setup:

-Follow directions here: http://google.com/a/
-Update the MX records for our domains

When I try using sendmail I run this simple test:

1. create a text file, sendme.txt:

From: bornboulder77 at yahoo.com
Subject: test mail
Hi Bjorn
Bye Bjorn

2. Run shell command:
/usr/sbin/sendmail bornboulder77 at yahoo.com <
sendme.txt

Result: The mail is not delivered.

I'd welcome any tips for configuring sendmail to send
mail.

-b