Spamassassin RBL's

Christopher Hilton chris at vindaloo.com
Sun Jun 10 19:26:35 UTC 2007

Peter Pluta wrote:

> Mikhail Goriachev-2 wrote:
>> Peter Pluta wrote:
>>> How can I enable spamassasssin RBL's. I'm running FreeBSD 6.1, postfix,
>>> amavisd-new, and spamassassin with razor. I'm getting many spams that
>>> shouldn't be getting thru with RBL's. I havent been able to find anything
>>> useful on Google that can explain how to get RBL working with
>>> spamassassin.
>>> Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

[snip]

>> /usr/local/share/spamassassin/20_dnsbl_tests.cf

You will also want to look at:

      /usr/local/share/spamassassin/5-_scores.cf

There are two ways to use the rbls. You can either raise the score for
being in the RBL above SA's threshold. Or you can out and out block
servers in the RBL from your MTA. You probably want to be carefull with
the latter technique since is transfers onus of the work of delivering
the mail into the wrong hands.

I just spent 3 hours diagnosing a problem for a client on Friday. It
turns out that people weren't able to deliver email to him and for the
past 6 months he's believed that there was some intermittent problem
with his ISP's mailserver. The actual problem is that his ISP is using
an overzealous RBL. I found out about this because my delivery server
was listed in his RBL due to some mistake that happened in 1999 before
my ISP got the IP address. The practical upshot for my client was that
until he could find someone who could both see and diagnose the problem
he just wasn't receiving mail and thus he was loosing business. Nota
Bene for all users of RBLs.

--
       __o          "All I was doing was trying to get home from work."
     _`\<,_           -Rosa Parks