Php5 port and Apache Module

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Sun Jun 10 12:55:34 UTC 2007

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007, Matthew Seaman wrote:
 > Ian Smith wrote:
 >
 > > Around 6.0 may have been the timeline for this change, but it affected
 > > users of 5.4 and 5.5 too; one 5.5-STABLE here.  I ran into this updating
 > > phpMyAdmin last year, which also enforced upgrading from php4 to php5 -
 > > unnecessarily, according to the phpMyAdmin specs - and made it no longer
 > > possible to install php5 (thus eg phpMyAdmin) from the packages ..
 >
 > That is incorrect.  The phpMyAdmin port works perfectly well with php4.
 > The *default* version of php that the port would cause to be installed
 > as a dependency if there was no previously installed php on the system
 > - -- that changed from 4 to 5 a while back, but that was actually a result
 > of system-wide changes in /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.php.mk

To be fair, that was on a huge portupgrade from 5.4-R to 5-STABLE last
December involving most ports including xorg and kde, and upgrading the
installed php4 to php5 (as a consequence of the _then_ dependency tree)
was the only thing that proved problematic, and that using using every
prefetched package that portupgrade -anPP could find first.

At the time, after a couple of days' struggle, I relented and went with
php5, and after the aforementioned making config then installing the
php5 port, all was plain sailing.  As I recall it may have been a
dependency of phpMyAdmin, pecl-pdflib, that kept insisting on php5?

Anyway, water under the bridge; phpMyAdmin 2.9.1 works fine, and I soon
have another big upgrade to do (patiently awaiting xorg 7 packages :)

 > Note that there is not a lot of point installing phpMyAdmin from
 > packages.  The phpMyAdmin port does not compile anything -- all it
 > does it pull down the dist files and copy them into place.  Essentially
 > what the package does, except that the port gives you immensely greater
 > flexibility in fitting in with alternate dependencies.

On a 300MHz laptop with a 'fast' 5400rpm drive, packages are the go
wherever possible, but I'll try remembering that.  It's a nice port.

Thanks Matthew,

Cheers, Ian