Php5 port and Apache Module

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Sun Jun 10 07:48:44 UTC 2007

Christopher Hilton wrote:
> Jonathan Horne wrote:

[...]
> Everyone seems to be misunderstanding my question. I'm aware of how to
> build mod_php5. I'm curious about why the default configuration builds
> php5 as a standalone CLI and CGI rather than as an apache module. I'm
> assuming that there is some good engineering behind this decision but
> I'd like to know a little more about that engineering. Is there some
> advantage to running php as a Fast CGI process?

I guess that mod_php5 depends on Apache and maintainer don't want this
big dependency. The second is - if it will depends on Apache of some
version (eg. 1.3) it will be broken with another version (2.0 and 2.2).
It apply for binary packages. If somebody is compiling ports himself,
then can check option "with apache" or add WITH_APACHE in to /etc/make.conf

Miroslav Lachman