Xorg failed to start after upgrading to 7.2

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Sun Jun 10 05:33:18 UTC 2007

illoai at gmail.com wrote:
> On 09/06/07, Xihong Yin <xyin at bluebottle.com> top-posted:
>> Thank you for answering my question.

>> when I start X.

>> > Quick guess: you are still using the same xorg.conf from your 6.8
>> > install. You need to change the
>> > ModulePath to /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules
>
>> I did change my ModulePath to /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules in my
>> xorg.conf file.
>> Under my /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules, there are no such libs as xtt,
>> vesa,
>> mouse, and kbd.
>
> There should be an entry "xorg-7.2"
> in /var/db/pkg (I am going on a hunch
> here), if not you need to install ports/x11/xorg
>
> It would probably not be a bad idea to rerun
> X -configure and ten-finger-merge the results
> with your old config file.

You may also do a pkg_info | grep xorg and see what xorg packages where
actually installed.
My guess is you are missing the xorg-drivers metaport for some reason
(since you are missing such basic things as kbd and vesa) but doing a
complete install of ports/x11/xorg as suggested wouldn't harm. If you
want to go with the drivers only thing, the metaport would be
ports/x11-drivers/xorg-drivers