Problem with packages on 6.2

Steve Lake steve.lake at raiden.net
Sat Jun 9 05:37:33 UTC 2007

         Ok, I don't know if this is a problem with the ports setup I have
on my Freebsd box or something else, but I thought I'd ask anyways.  I've
got a machine with a fresh copy of 6.2 release on it.  Thought I'd be cute
and install all the ports first and then go from there.  pkg_add -r xorg
came up with an error that said the package couldn't be found in the
"Latest" directory.  Ok, so I got the direct link to the package it
referenced.  Can't be found by pkg_add, yet I can download it via a browser
just fine.  So I dug around in the "ALL" directory instead and found the
latest Xorg package.  Gave that to pkg_add and it found it, but then said
it couldn't find any of the dependent packages.

         It's the same story with every single package I try to add with
pkg_add that's referenced from the packages directory for 6.2.  The error I
keep getting is like this:

Error: FTP Unable to get
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6-stable/Latest/xmms.tbz:
File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
pkg_add: unable to fetch
'ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6-stable/Latest/xmms.tbz'
by URL

         I've even grabbed my ports tree twice and rebuilt my kernel to 6.2
stable and still no change.  Anyone have any idea why this isn't
working?  And how do I, if possible, change the ftp location and path that
pkg_add looks at so that it's using something other than the root
ftp.freebsd.org server.  Maybe something like ftp3.freebsd.org or one of
the lesser used ftp servers?

         Thanks in advance for any answers you can give.  :)  Please reply
directly to me as I'm not on this list right now.  (too much mail to sort
through)

Steven Lake
Owner/Technical Writer
Raiden's Realm