Virtualization of FreeBSD

Thanos Rizoulis yahoo at pcbsd.homeunix.com
Fri Jun 8 19:47:41 UTC 2007

O/H Norberto Meijome έγραψε:
> you mean problems with the lnc0 , as seen by FBSD in the VM? interesting, i've
> never had any problems, but I run VMWare server under Centos 4.
>
> I'll give the e1000 a try  :) thx for the tip.

Under various versions of vmware, lnc0 just choked and caused
disconnection under the first few seconds in a simple stress situation
(eg a 4MB file transfer over SSH, or some equal samba file transfer).
The em driver was the solution to all these problems. If I remember
correctly, selecting a x64 edition of guest OS or selecting 2 CPU cores,
provides you directly with em instead of lnc.

My opinion about MS virtual PC is that it gave me the once in a lifetime
opportunity to capture a full BSOD in bitmap file. I put it as a desktop
in a public PC, and laughed as everyone kept pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del. I
dumped MS virtual PC shortly after.

One serious tip about Vmware, is that when selecting disks, you can
select a *physical* disk instead of a virtual and proceed with
installation on that physical disk. Or you can keep a freebsd server
installed on a virtual disk, then connect a physical disk on the same VM
and dump/restore as you please. It has been tested with over 7GB OS
installs and works like a charm.

--
RTFM and STFW before anything bad happens