Increase in the number of ports: upgrade xorg to 7.2...

Thomas Dickey dickey at radix.net
Fri Jun 8 19:39:57 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 03:34:38PM -0400, Bill Moran wrote:
> > I am not totally convinced. If one small package is updated that is
> > depended on by 10 other package that in turn are depended on by a like
> > number of other packages, what has been really gained by breaking
> > everything into small bits? They may be easier to maintain; however
> > the impact on updating the system seems like it would be minimal.
>
> No.  As long as the communication interface between modules (whether
> it be an API or something else) doesn't change, it's perfectly possible
> to update a single module without updating anything else.

"as long as" is an assumption which I haven't seen any evidence that
xorg developers are willing to warrant.

fwiw, they changed interface in the Xaw library a couple of years ago,
which required some a change to xterm.

Absent any evidence that they're going to maintain stable interfaces,
this is just an assumption.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net