[freebsd-questions] Best way to add SSL to Apache 1.3.37

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Fri Jun 8 01:03:09 UTC 2007

On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 12:03:31 -0400
Patrick Baldwin <Patrick.Baldwin at studsvikscandpower.com> wrote:

> Hi, I'm running 6.2-RELEASE-p4, and Apache 1.3.37.  I'd like to
> add SSL support, but I'm not sure of the best way to go about it.

may I ask why are you using Apache 1.3.x ? I think Apache 2 has shown itself to
be pretty good and reliable by now

> In:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-apache.html
>
> Specifically section 27.7.5.1, it mentions you can add ssl support with
> mod_ssl, but I don't see it in my ports tree.
>
> I also found this:
> http://www.bsdguides.org/guides/freebsd/webserver/apache_ssl_php_mysql.php
>
> Which seems to suggest that I'd need to have installed the apache
> port /usr/ports/www/apache13-modssl instead of the package apache-1.3.37_3.

Indeed.

> So, do I need to remove the apache-1.3.37_3 package (presumably with
> pkg_delete, as I think that's the cleanest way, please correct me if I'm
> wrong),

pkg_deinstall apache-1.3*

>  and re-install from the apache13-modssl port, or is there in
> fact some way to just get mod_ssl and add to my existing Apache
> configuration?

There may be, i haven't touched the 1.3 apache stuff for several years. If you
install www/apache22, it builds the SSL components by default.

> If both options are possible, is one better than the
> other?

You cannot have, by default (ie, withouth tinkering and knowing what you are
doing) both apache13 and apache13-mod_ssl. they are listed conflicts.( in the
Makefile for the port, search for the CONFLICTS line)

> I'd prefer not to have to re-do my apache install, but if
> there's some compelling reason I should, I'm interested in knowing it.

if you want ssl...

> Also, when I've got it, I want users to have the option to use it,
> not be forced to (tinkering with a Squirrelmail webmail server here), so
> any information on that would be more than welcome.

Not sure what you mean by this. Your users will use HTTPS if they so request
it, or HTTP if they point it to http://yourserver/....

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"Throughout the centuries there were [people] who took first steps down new
paths armed only with their own vision." Ayn Rand

Warned.