GEOM/GELI Boot Disk Encryption

cpghost cpghost at cordula.ws
Thu Jun 7 14:53:03 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 07:00:44PM +0200, Roland Smith wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 07:28:48AM -0500, Eric F Crist wrote:
> >  I'm trying to take a system that already has a running freebsd system (or I
> >  can start over), and make the entire system encrypted.  I've found
> >  instructions (freebsd manual) for creating secondary disks, but not the boot
> >  disk in particular.
> >
> >  Can anyone point me in the right direction?
>
> Personally, I wouldn't bother encrypting anything but your own data,
> i.e. /home. And for backup purposes it's better to make a seperate slice
> for that anyway.

You may wish to (at least) encrypt swap partitions, /tmp and /var/tmp,
and probably /usr/tmp (if it's not a symlink to encrypted /var/tmp) in
addition to /home. Most userland programs can leak sensitive date there
that you'd rather have encrypted too.

Add to this: stuff like /var/db (esp. useful for /var/db/pgsql,
/var/db/mysql, mail spool directories and some such), and maybe
/var/log as well. Encrypting the complete /var filesystem is
easier though... Some ports also use /usr/local/www to store
user-specific data, but what's the point of encrypting this? ;-)

> Roland
> --
> R.F.Smith                                   http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/
> [plain text _non-HTML_ PGP/GnuPG encrypted/signed email much appreciated]
> pgp: 1A2B 477F 9970 BA3C 2914  B7CE 1277 EFB0 C321 A725 (KeyID: C321A725)

Regards,
-cpghost.

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/