Moving Freebsd to a new Server

Thu Jun 7 07:38:15 UTC 2007

Hi,

We were in a rush to install a freebsd server without proper hardware on
hand, so we used Microsoft Virtual Server and install Freebsd on it.

I would like to move the freebsd installation to a real server and was
wondering how to do so.

I searched around and the solution seems to be to dump the hard drive
content and restore it on the new server.

Does anyone knows a good walkthrough of the entire process, I didn't find
anything in the handbook beside moving freebsd to a new harddrive which I
cannot do from the same machine.

Basically, I need a way to dump the hd to file, transfer the file over
whatever media (dvd, network, etc) and restore on the new machine.

I'm not even sure if I need to install freebsd on the new machine or not
since I guess I cannot overwrite the partition on which freebsd is running
:-)

Any help/reference would be appreciated

Thanks in advance