problems installing 6.2 on Dell Dimension 4100

S Parrish wsparrish at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 7 00:14:20 UTC 2007

Hello,

I am new to FreeBSD and am trying to install 6.2 on a Dell Dimension 4100.

After I get to the "Welcome to FreeBSD!" screen and press enter, I see the
following:

/boot/kernel/acpi.ko text=0x43698 data=0x23c0+0x10f0
syms=[0x4+0x7ba0+0x4+0xa828]
\

The second line is the position of the "twirling baton" when the system
hangs.  There is also a white bar after the baton that extends to the right
hand side of my display.  I am not using any hardware that I would consider
to be unusual.

1GHz Pentium III processor
512 MB RAM
2) 80GB Western Digital IDE hard drives
3.5 inch floppy drive
Sony IDE DVD-ROM drive
(not sure of brand, came with the Dell) IDE CD-RW drive
Nvidia Ge-Force III video adapter with 128 MB ram (AGP)
D-Link 10/100 Ethernet card (PCI)
D-Link WiFi card (PCI)
Creative Soundblaster Live sound card (PCI)
3-port Firewire card
USB 1.1 built into MB
PS/2 keyboard
USB mouse

I have tried disabling everything possible in the BIOS as well as removing
every card, with the exception of the video card.  I still get the same
results.  I've tried every possible combination of primary/slave for both
hard drives and CD/DVD drives.  Still no luck.

I have tried disabling ACPI to no avail.

I have also tried FreeBSD 5.5 and PC-BSD 1.3.01 and get the same
results....system hangs.  Note that I have been able to successfully install
a number of Linux distros (including Mandrake, Fedora, Suse, Ubuntu, and
Debian) on this box previously with no problems.
Note that I *can* get to the "loader prompt" by selecting option 6 in the
welcome screen menu.  However, every other option in the menu results in a
system hang.

Has anyone ever run across anything like this?  I've been working on this
for 3 days and am at wit's end.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

-W