Seeking recommendation for anti-spam software

Philip Hallstrom freebsd at philip.pjkh.com
Wed Jun 6 19:10:48 UTC 2007

> I am running a mail server using Postfix and Dovecot.  I would like to hear
> people's recommendation for which port to use to add server side anti-spam.
> The problem these days is a richness of choices, so it's hard to know port
> which to try.
>
> And call it a quirk of mine, but I really dislike (server) software with a
> large number of dependencies.  That rules out Spam Assassin.  But I am fairly
> conversant with mail and Postfix/Dovecot in general, so I don't mind any
> integration work.
>
> I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I just joined the list (I
> am already on so many FreeBSD lists already).  I appreciate any insight that
> people can offer.

I like the policyd-weight postfix filter... it sums up a score based on
several conditions that you can set (dnsbl, bad smtp protocol, etc.)
caches, results for those that hit you constantly, etc.  I probably get
2-3 spam a day max.  Used to get 30-40.  And it does it all before
accepting the message body which is nice.

You can also tell it just to put in a x-header with a score and pass it
along untouched so users can do what they want using that info.

http://www.policyd-weight.org/