fbsd 6.2 pf starts -- but not on boot

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Wed Jun 6 05:31:14 UTC 2007

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007, snowcrash+freebsd wrote:

 > well, per Ian's catch/suggestion, removing the 'blank line' from my
 > "ppp.conf", and moving,
 >
 >    add default HISADDR
 >
 > to the "ppp1:" connection stanza seems to have done the trick!  pf
 > loads properly on reboot.
 >
 > swithc it back, and it does not.
 >
 > so, guessing, it's the lack of a default root as a result of the blank line.

Actually, turns out I was speaking 'historically'; ppp no longer treats
blank lines as section terminators - and may not have for years! :)

/usr/share/examples/ppp/ppp.conf.sample still begins using that style,
with # comment lines within sections and blank lines only at end, but
also points out early on that blank lines are ignored, and some later
example sections indeed use that style.

To add to the confusion, I'm lately using ppp's successor mpd instead,
which does still use blank lines to terminate conf file sections ..

So the problem was really more the position of your 'add default' line;
it's needed within the section you've specified to run, here ppp1:

Funny thing is, I doubt I'd have noticed it without your blank line!

 > the "gotcha" here was that, according to my notes, i *HAD*
 > checked/ensure that  my default routes were correctly initialized
 > (with "netstat -nr"), but, apparently, BEFORE i'd naively/mistakenly
 > added that blank line.
 >
 > woohoo!

Glad it goes,

Ian