minimal xorg installation?

Nikola Lecic nlecic at EUnet.yu
Tue Jun 5 16:06:54 UTC 2007

Hello,

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 15:13:30 +0100
Anton Shterenlikht <mexas at bristol.ac.uk> wrote:

> For an old laptop with a small disk is there an alternative to
> a full x11/xorg installation? Previously (version 6.9) I used to get
> a working set by installing the components individually. Can I do this
> with 7.2. In particular, I cannot find anythig like xorg-clients port.
> If not in detail, perhaps in principal what must I have. I alredy
> have the following:
>
> ===>>> xorg-cf-files-1.0.2_2
> ===>>> xorg-apps-7.2
> ===>>> xorg-fonts-truetype-7.2
> ===>>> xorg-libraries-7.2_1
> ===>>> xorg-server-1.2.0_2,1

You must have xorg-7.2 meta-port installed.

If you worry about the disk space or speed of the new Xorg (on an older
machine), I confirm that Xorg-7.2 is _amazingly_ faster than 6.9;
and this is especially visible on older hardware. In general, startup
time of GTK applications in up to 30-50% shorter, and things like video
playback are incredibly improved.

So, you don't need to cut anything. Just update your working system
according to /usr/ports/UPDATING. If you want to save disk space
(during compilling), use 'portupgrade -aP'.

Nikola Lečić