Disable CTRL+ALT+DELETE

Dominique Goncalves dominique.goncalves at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 22:04:26 UTC 2007

Hi,

On 6/4/07, Kenneth Bond <bondka at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a quick question regarding disabling the CTRL+ALT+DELETE
> keystroke sequence used to reboot a system.
>
> I understand that you are able to add the following option to the
> kernel config file and rebuild the kernel:
>
> options SC_DISABLE_REBOOT
>
> What I'd like to confirm is whether or not using a keymap file and
> changing the "boot" entries to "nop", and then loading it on each boot
> through /etc/rc.conf (KEYMAP = "/usr/share/syscons/keymap/keymap.kbd")
> is a viable, secure alternative for disabling the CTRL+ALT+DELETE
> keystroke sequence.
>
> I know it was commonly used with older FreeBSD releases, but I'm not
> sure whether it is recommended with newer releases.
>
> Please advise.
>
> Thanks!

If you are using FreeBSD >=6.2, there is a sysctl knob for disabling
CTRL+ALT+DELETE,

sysctl hw.syscons.kbd_reboot=0

Take a look at syscons(4) and sysctl(8) for more information.

Hope this helps.

Regards.
--
There's this old saying: "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach
a man to fish, feed him for life."