Remote Server FSCK

Matt Juszczak matt at atopia.net
Mon Jun 4 16:15:01 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I have a dedicated box with a hosting company.  The power supply failed in
the box this morning, and the company replaced it and brought the box back
up.

In my logs, I have:

Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
WARNING: / was not properly dismounted
WARNING: /home was not properly dismounted
WARNING: /tmp was not properly dismounted
WARNING: /usr was not properly dismounted
/usr: mount pending error: blocks 80 files 1
WARNING: /var was not properly dismounted
WARNING: /var/tmp was not properly dismounted

In my opinion, this calls for an fsck in single user mode.  Unfortunately,
I don't have access to the box.

Is htis something I should have them do?  It seems /usr is affected, and
the /var/log/messages shows a few other errors as well.

What's the best way to go about fixing this.  Should I ask them to `fsck
-y` from console in single user mode since I can't be there to look at the
prompts?

Thanks,

Matt