Flatbed scanners for FreeBSD

John Nielsen lists at jnielsen.net
Mon Jun 4 14:40:19 UTC 2007

On Saturday 02 June 2007 06:48:46 pm Roland Smith wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 02, 2007 at 03:15:22PM -0600, Andrew Falanga wrote:
> >  Hi everybody,
> >
> >  What scanners are best used with FreeBSD?  I'm hoping for one that I
> >  can use in both Windoze and FreeBSD.  Preferably, one that is USB.
> >  I've never configured a scanner for FreeBSD before and would like
> >  recommendations on hardware before purchasing.
>
> Look at the website for the SANE (acanner access now easy) project. If
> it is listed there, it will probably work;
>
> http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#SCANNERS
>
> I've had good experiences with Epson scanners, but mine is several years
> old, and you can't buy them anymore.
>
> If you have a specific model in mind, google for it's name in
> combination with SANE, to see if it comes up on the SANE mailing
> list. E.g. they've gotten the cheap Epson Perfection V10 working recently;
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2006-November/017993.ht
>ml

Also keep in mind that SANE can use libusb for scanner access even if said
scanner is not supported by FreeBSD's uscanner. I have an Epson CX4800
scanner/printer/cardreader. If I don't have ulpt or umass in the kernel, the
scanner works fine via libusb. I assume for a standalone scanner the
multifunction strangeness wouldn't be an issue.

JN