repear a FreeBSD install

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Sun Jun 3 19:34:37 UTC 2007

Chad Perrin wrote:
> Someone I know tried installing Slackware on a Thinkpad R52 to create a
> triple-boot system (MS Windows and FreeBSD 6.2 as the other two, already
> present on the system).  The Slackware install didn't get very far (the
> installer is less than helpful -- wouldn't recognize a swap partition at
> all), but apparently it got far enough to break the FreeBSD install.
>
> Any tips, hints, and suggestions about how exactly to go about fixing
> the FreeBSD install (without overwriting the home partition and losing
> the installed system configuration to minimize time lost getting things
> back to "normal") would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

What exactly is broken in the FBSD installation?  Just won't
find enough bootstrap stuff to boot?

Some fairly recent threads on this list that might help:

"Dual Boot Problems", March 1st, Sam Jones, Jerry McAllister,
	Beech Rintoul
"Changing Boot Loader", March 3rd, Tom Marchand, "Vince",
	Thomas Sparrevohn, Kevin Kinsey
"Skipping F1 FreeBSD prompt on boot", May 12-15th, David
	Landgren, Matthew Seaman, Sam Lawrence, Pieter de Goeje

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey
--
When there is an old maid in the house, a watch dog is unnecessary.
		-- Balzac