Strange Intel Mobo Behavior

Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
Sun Jun 3 18:24:54 UTC 2007

(Originally asked on -hardware and -smp but no one seemed to have any
ideas.  Repeating here to the larger group in hopes of some answers. TIA.)

System:

Intel D946GZIS MOBO w/ICH7 SATA-II support
WDC WD2500JS-00NCB1 250G Hard Drive that claims to do 3G/s
Pentium D @ 3.2GHz

In addition to the on-board peripherals, the two available
PCI slots have an Adaptec 2940 U/UW SCSI controller and
a 3Com 3C901 card in them respectively.

Running FBSD 6.2-STABLE as of yesterday.  Kernel is SMP.

I've run into a problem that makes no sense to me and I suspect
is related to how SMP works (or, then again, maybe not):

1) When booting FBSD 6.2, right after the second CPU is started
    the system hangs for about 45 seconds and then proceeds normally.
    This happens with GENERIC-Release, SMP-Stable, and SMP-Release kernels.
    During this wait, the floppy goes active for some reason.  It's
    as if the system is "hunting" for something.

Other strange anomalies I've noted:

2) If I try to boot the 4.11-Release CD, it gets partway through
    the boot and then spits out:

     RTC BIOS diagnostic error 80<clock battery>

   I've replaced the RTC battery and still get the same error.
   I get no such error with 6.2

3) Both the MOBO and drive are SATA-300 rated, but 6.2 insists that
    the drive is running at SATA-150.  I have verified that the drive
    has no jumper forcing it into this mode.

4) I *cannot* get xorg 7.2 to work with the onboard video.
    If I configure it as a VESA video system, all is well.
    If I try to tell it that I am using i810 video, I get this:

          X Window System Version 7.2.0
     Release Date: 22 January 2007
     X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.2
     Build Operating System: FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE i386
     Current Operating System: FreeBSD troll.tundraware.com 6.2-STABLE FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE #5: Sun Jun  3 00:42:36 CDT 2007     toor at troll.tundraware.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SMP i386
     Build Date: 30 May 2007
             Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
     Module Loader present
             (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
     (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sun Jun  3 13:05:01 2007
     (++) Using config file: "/root/xorg.conf.new"
     (EE) GARTInit: Unable to open /dev/agpgart (No such file or directory)
     (EE) I810(0): Failed to allocate framebuffer. Is your VideoRAM set too low ??

     Fatal server error:
     AddScreen/ScreenInit failed for driver 0

    This makes no sense given that I have allocated 128M for video memory.

Anyone have ideas on what is going on here?  (I've DAGS and found nothing
like this in the archives.)
Tim Daneliuk     tundra at tundraware.com