BSD derivatives

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Sun Jun 3 00:17:42 UTC 2007

"Blake Finley, MA, ABD-2" <blakefinley at transpacific.net> wrote:

> I am primarily concerned about security from internet hacking, and am
> therefore considering setting up a separate internet computer with BSD.

You shouldn't use FreeBSD, then.  It's written by hackers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker

If you're trying to protect yourself from Internet criminals, though,
you'll find FreeBSD very useful.

> What is your association with Open BSD?  with Linux?

There have got to be a jillion explanations of this on the WWW.  Are
you familiar with google?:
http://people.freebsd.org/~murray/bsd_flier.html
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/history.html

Those are just two that I found quickly.

> Are there copyright or other related issues involved?

Sure.

Although I don't really know what you mean by that.

> It appears that FreeBSD is the most closely associated with the original
> Berkeley programmers.

Depends on who you ask.

> I was told that OpenBSD provided the best security.  But I also note
> that changes have occurred at OBSD, and wonder if this is still true.

What changes are those?

OpenBSD puts security higher on its list of project goals and
motivating factors than any other OS I know.  Whether or not that
actually causes it to be more secure or not is a subject of some
debate, although the general consensus seems to be that they are
largely successful.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com