Multiple issues (FreeBSD 6.2 RELEASE)

illoai at gmail.com illoai at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 06:39:16 UTC 2007

On 01/06/07, Lucas (a.k.a T-Bird or bsdfan3) <tbird-contact at cox.net> wrote:
> Hardware: Compaq Presario 1200-XL118
> AMD K6-2 500MHz
> 64MB of RAM
> Trident CyberBlade i7 video with 4MB shared RAM
> 6GB ATA66 HD
> Linksys 10/100 PCCard Ethernet (using ed driver)
>
> OS: FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE using GENERIC kernel
>
> Issues:
> 1) The machine will not turn off when I try to soft-off it (ACPI S5
> state, shutdown -r or -p).  How do I fix this?

In my experience most of the stuff built around the
AMD k6 junk (circa 1998) had horrible ACPI support,
nonstandard and incomplete, where possible.  I have
a lurking suspicion that they advertised these things
as only working correctly under winders (Optimised
for Windows 98! Now with nearly intel compliant MMX!).
A bios upgrade _might_ solve it.
A lot of those older machines (supposedly) support apm,
so fiddling with apm(8) might give some answers.
You might have to load the module or uncomment the
device apm line and recompile your kernel.