Recommendations for config file revision control

Thierry Lacoste lacoste at miage.univ-paris12.fr
Fri Jun 1 22:10:03 UTC 2007

I keep track of my servers config files with CVS.

Let's say I want to track a machine named 'box'.
On this machine I have a working copy of the cvs module box in /root/box.
I have a couple of scripts cvs-add and cvs-ci.
'cvs-add /etc/rc.conf' copies /etc/rc.conf to /root/box/etc/rc.conf
and then adds it to the cvs repository.
'cvs-ci -m message /etc/rc.conf'  verifies that /root/box/etc/rc.conf
exists and that the two files are indeed different then makes
the copy and checks it in the repository.

Finally I install a cronjob which checks if the files in the working copy
are indeed identical to the 'real' files they mirror.

It's very simple but very handy.
However I'd like to hear about alternative solutions.

Regards,
Thierry.