cannot enable VESA_800x600 raster text mode

Zhang Weiwu zhangweiwu at realss.com
Fri Jun 1 06:19:55 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-31 at 20:09 +0200, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 31. Mai 2007 schrieb Zhang Weiwu:
> > Dear list
> >
> > I have been using raster text mode for years and I really like it. All I
> > need to do is to put these options in kernel
> >
> > options VESA
> > options SC_PIXEL_MODE
> >
> > For one box I have 'Rage 3D LT Pro AGP 133MHz (BGA-312 Package)' display,
>
> This is an old problem because the VESA_800x600 Mode uses 4 bit color depth
> which ATI doesn't support.
> But maybe you can use vidcontrol MODE_261

vidcontrol: cannot active raster display: Operation not supported by
device

> Besides the ATI problem I can't use the SC_PIXEL_MODE any more in -current. I
> think some time ago it has be broken when the higher resolution support has
> been added.

Okay, I think I'll live with VGA_90x30. I prefer 100x37 though. If XGA
is supported, I prefer 128x48.

Hope someone can fix raster mode at 800x600x8 and also add support for
raster mode 128x48 at XGA resolution. FreeBSD should be able to provide
console driver that works at XGA resolution because there are so few
SVGA display anywhere around (at least, few SVGA display still in use in
China)