difficulties remove stale dependency

Adam J Richardson fatman.uk at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 21:02:52 UTC 2007

Noah wrote:

> Hi,
>
> any clues on how to cure this situation.  It appears I am having
> difficulties removing stale dependencies.
>
> access1# portupgrade -a
> Stale dependency: Xaw3d-1.5E_2 <-- emacs-21.3_9 -- manually run 'pkgdb
> -F' to fix, or specify -O to force.
> access1# portupgrade -
> access1# pkgdb -F
> --->  Checking the package registry database
> access1# pkgdb -FO
> --->  Checking the package registry database
> access1# portupgrade -a
> Stale dependency: Xaw3d-1.5E_2 <-- emacs-21.3_9 -- manually run 'pkgdb
> -F' to fix, or specify -O to force.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Noah

Hi Noah,

I get this a lot on one of my systems. Just that one - no idea why.
Anyway, I find including option -O allows most things to ignore stale
links, including portupgrade.

Oh - did you try installing portupgrade-devel and not portupgrade? That
helped me out of a hole once and now I use it for everything.

HtH,
Adam J Richardson