Installation problem

illoai at gmail.com illoai at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 06:40:00 UTC 2007

On 30/07/07, Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakhesh at rakhesh.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, illoai at gmail.com wrote:

> >> Are you trying to install FreeBSD in an extended partition? The
> >> /dev/ad*4*s2b makes me think so ...
> >
> > /dev/ad4 is probably his first SATA drive, the integer
> > following "s" is the slice number (partition in the magical
> > windows world) and if greater than 4 indicates an extended
> > slice.
>
> I thought /dev/ad4s2b meant the 5th disk (since its ad4; ad0-ad3 being 1st
> to 4th disks), 2nd slice (s2), and second partition in that slice (b). Do
> SATA drives too come up as "ad" devices? I don't have experience with SATA
> drives, so don't know ... I know my IDE drives come up as "ad" and so
> would assume SATA will come up with a different name.

I suppose we still haven't actually answered the original
question, as to why it would abort with:
"Unable to find device node for /dev/ad4s2b in /dev!"

The only thing I can think of is that sysinstall was
expecting a swap partition and wasn't given one,
although that sysinstall should be so brittle does not
agree with my general experience.

If the space to be installed in is greater than 6G
(or so) the defaults should work without a problem,
so assuming the defaults were used it should see
a /dev/ad4s2b as swap.  Of course we haven't asked
which version of FreeBSD or if there might be some
sort of buggish controller.