sudo and env gotcha (or is it just me?)

illoai at gmail.com illoai at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 19:20:37 UTC 2007

After blithely upgrading everything else, I at-
tempted rebuilding jdk15 and, crumbs! my nfs
mounted /ports (4.7G) filled up and the build
barfed although I have WRKDIRPREFIX set in
/etc/csh.cshrc

Barbara Streisand! I thought, what could be the
prob-lem now?

% cd /ports/java/jdk15 && sudo make extract
puts the work/ directory right there in
/ports/java/jdk15/
Hooray(?)! well, it's not portupgrade's fault,
since make is also not using $WRKDIRPREFIX

And then it occured to me that I had upgraded
sudo.  Oh ho!
% sudo env
gave me quite a short list, which certainly didn't
include WRKDIRPREFIX.

A not very quick perusal of man 8 sudo and then
man 5 sudoers and I finally found the env_reset
flag and a host of others besides.  Boy, was that
ever a fun auuenture!

Lesson:  be observant when upgrading
important things.

or