ELI passphrase on boot with USB keyboard

Reid Linnemann lreid at cs.okstate.edu
Mon Jul 30 13:53:30 UTC 2007

Written by Rolf G Nielsen on 07/27/07 16:37>>
> Reid Linnemann wrote:
>> Written by Reid Linnemann on 07/27/07 15:49>>
>>> Written by Rolf G Nielsen on 07/27/07 15:21>>

>>> Try setting hints.atkbd0.disabled to 1 in the loader, or in the
>>> device.hints file. Your usb keyboard may work in early stages with
>>> that device hint.
>>
>> Erm, set the hint in the loader _first_, and then only put it in
>> device.hints if it works!
>>

> Moreover, the usb keyboard works upto and including the boot menu (I
> guess the hardware is strictly under BIOS control then, and the kernel
> doesnt really know if the keboard is usb or ps/2). Then, as soon as the
> kernel starts probing devices, it stops working. It comes back when
> daemons have been started. Does usbd have to be running for a usb
> keyboard to work? If so, could it be worked around?

That I don't know. It seems to me that the USB keyboard operates in one
of two modes - through the bios or through a device driver. When the
system is yet to come up, the PC BIOS is able to talk with the USB
keyboard, else you wouldn't be able to type commands in the loader. At
some point, I guess the OS aborts talking to the USB keyboard through
the BIOS until a driver is loaded. However, I'm not a kernel hacker, so
this is only a guess and someone more knowledgeable should respond to
the thread at this point.