portsnap from cron

Rakhesh Sasidharan rakhesh at rakhesh.com
Sun Jul 29 11:41:27 UTC 2007

On Sun, July 29, 2007 13:11, Tobias Roth wrote:
> Garrett Cooper wrote:
>
>> That's not going to change until portversion changes. The problem is
>> most likely that portsnap touches the file and portversion finds it
>> necessary to update the portsdb. Processing the text from portversion
>> will yield the info you want.
>> Cheers,
>> -Garrett
>
> Ohh, now at least I have an idea why it is suddenly happening, and how
> to fix it. I'll either run portsdb between portsnap and portversion, or
> try to grep out the unneeded stuff.

I use pkg_version. Same functionality as portversion, but its slower coz
it doesn't use the INDEX.db file. Maybe you could use that to avoid the
messages? :) (The speed won't matter coz its run as a cron job anyways!)

Do 'pkg_version -l "<" ' to get a list of ports that need updating .....

Thanks,
Rakhesh