RALUS for Linux - authentication failing

Thu Jul 26 23:21:19 UTC 2007

On Thursday 26 July 2007 12:18:52 pm John Nielsen wrote:
> I'm trying to get the latest Linux remote agent for Backup Exec to run on
> FreeBSD-amd64 machine. The exact version is RALUS-11d.7170.2, although I
> suspect any 10.0 - 11d version would be the same.
>
> After trying a few things (including installing on a real Linux host) I
was
> able to identify and extract the files containing the two rpm's that are
> actually installed. I ran those through rpm2cpio and got a simple
directory
> layout. I duplicated the directory structure and config file from the
Linux
> host and ran the main executable. (The init script tries (and fails, even
> after I fixed all the hardcoded paths) to do some housekeeping, but none
of
> it is necessary for the thing to actually run.)
>
> The executable seems to run okay and the host even shows up as a Unix
> target on the (Windows) Backup Exec server, but I'm unable to
authenticate,
> preventing me from doing any backups. I've used the agent on other Linux
> and Solaris hosts successfully, and it generally just takes the OS root
(or
> other user in the beoper group) password, without a need to set any
> ralus-specific passwords anywhere.
>
> Has anyone else gotten this to work on FreeBSD? If not, can anyone tell me
> (or speculate) what method the agent uses / might use to authenticate
> users?
>
> I was able to enable logging, so I know it sees the login attempt but it
> can't verify the password:
>
> 18006 Thu Jul 26 11:51:16 2007 : LogonUser failed for user: root because
> LogonUser: The input password does not match the OS password

I ended up going with the "legacy" agent for Linux for now. The install
script
actually ran okay except for installing the startup script (which I had to
edit anyway), and the agent seems to be running fine. It uses its own
password and authentication so I didn't have the problem I did with the
modern RALUS.

I'm still open to any input but I probably won't be spending more time on
getting the modern agent working if I don't have any new ideas.

Thanks,

~~~~~~~
Hi John,

Do you know the difference between the legacy and new one in term of
functionalities ?

Also, is the legacy agent an option during the installation of ralus ? I
don't remember having that option in backup exec 10

Regards