make and gmake on FreeBSD

Dima Sorkin dima.sorkin at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 20:51:17 UTC 2007

Hi.
 I have a FreeBSD 6.2, installed it from the distribution disks, no
changes by me.

There is a "make" and a "gmake" installed on it. They report that they
are the same programm, but in fact they behave completely different.
In fact only "gmake" behaves
like "GNU make" should behave and only with "gmake"
I succeed to build serious projects.

 What happens here ?  What I the "make", where did it come from ?

How do I cause to system "make" behave as "gmake" ?

Thanks, regards,
 Dima.

P.S.  see their output:
[dsorkin at eml5 /usr/home/dsorkin]$ make --version
GNU Make 3.81
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

This program built for i386-portbld-freebsd6.2
[dsorkin at eml5 /usr/home/dsorkin]$ gmake --version
GNU Make 3.81
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

This program built for i386-portbld-freebsd6.2
[dsorkin at eml5 /usr/home/dsorkin]$ which make
/usr/bin/make
[dsorkin at eml5 /usr/home/dsorkin]$ which gmake
/usr/local/bin/gmake
[dsorkin at eml5 /usr/home/dsorkin]$ diff /usr/bin/make /usr/local/bin/gmake
Binary files /usr/bin/make and /usr/local/bin/gmake differ
[dsorkin at eml5 /usr/home/dsorkin]$