RALUS for Linux - authentication failing

John Nielsen lists at jnielsen.net
Thu Jul 26 16:19:24 UTC 2007

I'm trying to get the latest Linux remote agent for Backup Exec to run on a
FreeBSD-amd64 machine. The exact version is RALUS-11d.7170.2, although I
suspect any 10.0 - 11d version would be the same.

After trying a few things (including installing on a real Linux host) I was
able to identify and extract the files containing the two rpm's that are
actually installed. I ran those through rpm2cpio and got a simple directory
layout. I duplicated the directory structure and config file from the Linux
host and ran the main executable. (The init script tries (and fails, even
after I fixed all the hardcoded paths) to do some housekeeping, but none of
it is necessary for the thing to actually run.)

The executable seems to run okay and the host even shows up as a Unix target
on the (Windows) Backup Exec server, but I'm unable to authenticate,
preventing me from doing any backups. I've used the agent on other Linux and
Solaris hosts successfully, and it generally just takes the OS root (or other
user in the beoper group) password, without a need to set any ralus-specific
passwords anywhere.

Has anyone else gotten this to work on FreeBSD? If not, can anyone tell me (or
speculate) what method the agent uses / might use to authenticate users?

I was able to enable logging, so I know it sees the login attempt but it can't
verify the password:

18006 Thu Jul 26 11:51:16 2007 : LogonUser failed for user: root because
LogonUser: The input password does not match the OS password

Thanks for any input (well, anything other than "don't do that" :) ).

JN