fsck to fix HD problem

illoai at gmail.com illoai at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 05:44:38 UTC 2007

On 25/07/07, Zbigniew Szalbot <zbigniew at szalbot.homedns.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I got a Charlie report:
> +WARNING: / was not properly dismounted
> +WARNING: /var was not properly dismounted
> +/var: mount pending error: blocks 8200 files 43
> +/usr: mount pending error: blocks 4552 files 6
>
> so I decided to use fsck to check my HD. I ran it
> in the foreground mode with the -y flag. It gives me the below
> information. My question is - should I worry (it is more a home machine
> than a real server) and if yes, how can I fix the problem?
. . .

To do anything more than merely report problems
you should drop into single-user mode, unmount
everything except root (hopefully.  If it gets angry,
reboot into single-user mode.) and run fsck (as is
or with the -y flag if you feel daring.) on the filesystems
in question.

As an aside, you might want to figure out why your
machine fell over, so as to possibly avoid this in
the future (such as it is).