bootable rescue cd?

Bruce Caruthers bkc-freebsdlists at dreamfire.com
Wed Jul 25 02:39:50 UTC 2007

Hi, all.

Given my "special-case" system (DG965WH), I am
trying to make a custom boot CD based off the
original 6.2-RELEASE/amd64 install disc in case I
ever need to login to fix it (such as when I had to
do a partial reinstall when I made a typo in one of
the loader files).

I have replaced /boot/kernel with one with Antony's
marvell patch built into it, and have added the
hint.acpi.0.disabled="1" to /boot/device.hints, so
it should all boot, which gives me a safe reinstall
option.

But...
How do I make it simply boot to a login or command
line?  I can't seem to find where it jumps to
sysinstall so I can disable that.

Apologies if i missed something obvious.  I tried
following the boot procedure through the *.4th
files, but the last time I programmed in Forth was
in one of the original MUDs (i.e. ages ago) and I
wasn't an expert in it even then.

Thanks!
   -bkc