Root access loggin

Tom Grove freebsd at voidmain.net
Tue Jul 24 19:28:40 UTC 2007

Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Tom Grove <freebsd at voidmain.net> writes:
>

>> You could even go so far as to limit what he can use sudo on.
>>
>> $>man sudo
>>
>> Giving him full root access is probably not a good idea.
>>

> In practice, this approach *is* effectively giving him full root
> access.  Once you have to give the tech the ability to edit root-owned
> files, you have to trust his honesty.
Once any kind of local access is given to a user trust becomes an issue;
regardless of root access or not.  By only allowing a certain set of
commands there would still need to be a great deal of cracking to gain
more access.  If one just gives out root access no more would need to be
done.  This is where sudo is unlike root access.
> There are some important
> advantages to doing it through sudo, though: one is that it makes it
> easy for the user to keep track of just the root-privileged commands,
> and another is that it's easier for the user to avoid shooting himself
> in the foot.

Other advantages to sudo are not having to give out the root password.
A possible solution may be using sudo and watch together.