installer freebsd

doug doug at fledge.watson.org
Mon Jul 23 01:30:25 UTC 2007

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007, Boudjema wrote:

> Bonjour,
>
> Please excuses,
> my english is bad, so i will explain in french my problem if this is not
> understood;
> i have a problem to install x window. my hope is to install kde. but without
> x, i am stopped; when i do pkg_add -r xorg, the response is: xorg 6.9is
> already installed or it's old version. when i do with   cd
> /usr/ports/X11/xorg && make install clean: i have this reponse:
> error code 1, /usr/local/libdata/xorg/libraries not found in
> /usr/ports/xorg-libraries.
> other big problem because i have had this response at lot off attemptings:
> /usr/X11R6/ exists but is not a symlink. I have understoot in bad english
> that in the new versions , this file /usr/X11R6 must be only a symlink.
> what i must do to updtate and make all the corrections for all the ports?
> i think that there is a problem with a few of my ports, i can delete all the
> ports and install them in new ? like this i will have a system clean.
> thin you.
> what is error code 1? can i install all x window systeme? with sysinstall lot
> of packages are not installed: errors and failed are returned.
> I have read the manual in french in first.
> My version is 6.2
> Areski Boudjema  Nanterre France

It does sound like xorg 6.9 is installed. You can tell by doing

    pkg_info | less

as root. If you see something like

    xorg-6.9.0          X.Org distribution metaport
    xorg-clients-6.9.0_3 X client programs and related files from X.Org
    xorg-documents-6.9.0 Documentation of X11 protocol and libraries from X.Org
    xorg-fonts-100dpi-6.9.0_1 X.Org 100dpi bitmap fonts
    xorg-fonts-75dpi-6.9.0_1 X.Org 75dpi bitmap fonts
    xorg-fonts-cyrillic-6.9.0_1 X.Org Cyrillic bitmap fonts
    xorg-fonts-encodings-6.9.0_1 X.Org font encoding files
    xorg-fonts-miscbitmaps-6.9.0_1 X.Org miscellaneous bitmap fonts
    xorg-fonts-truetype-6.9.0 X.Org TrueType fonts
    xorg-fonts-type1-6.9.0 X.Org Type1 fonts
    xorg-fontserver-6.9.0_1 X font server from X.Org
    xorg-libraries-6.9.0_1 X11 libraries and headers from X.Org
    xorg-manpages-6.9.0 X.Org library manual pages
    xorg-nestserver-6.9.0_1 Nesting X server from X.Org
    xorg-printserver-6.9.0_2 X Print server from X.Org
    xorg-server-6.9.0_6 X.Org X server and related programs
    xorg-vfbserver-6.9.0_2 X virtual framebuffer server from X.Org
    xterm-225           Terminal emulator for the X Window System

then you have xorg installed. If xorg-6.9 is installed there is no need to
upgrade to 7.2 unless 6.9 does not work on your hardware.

If you also installed kde from the installation CD you will see something like:

   kde-3.5.6           The "meta-port" for KDE

followed by a bunch of lines starting with kde.

Did you follow the instructions in the handbook, 5.4:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html?

If you did this, and kde is not installed, try creating a file named .xsession
as

    #!/bin/sh
    /usr/X11R6/bin/twm

and then type xdm from the console to start X. This gives you a very simple
and (hopefully) self-explanatory window manager.

If all this works you can try to install kde as a package (i.e., pre-compiled)
by:

    setenv PACKAGEROOT ftp://ftp2.FreeBSD.org (use the mirror nearest you)
    pkg_add -r kde

or you can install kde from your install CD. It is probably on disk 2. I
personally think installing kde from packages is easier, especially if you are
just starting out. There are easily 100+ packages required to support kde. It
takes a long time to build and all the required packages.

Hope this helps. If you are going to use ports (i.e. build from source), it is
(to me) much harder when you are starting out unless you know make and a bit of
C, C++ so you can interpert the errors. In any case you should also update your
port tree as previously suggested.