Intel G965 chipset?

Bruce Caruthers bkc-freebsdlists at dreamfire.com
Sat Jul 21 19:05:00 UTC 2007

On Fri Jul 20, 2007, Bruce Caruthers wrote:

> On Fri Jul 20, 2007, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> > Garrett Cooper wrote:

> > > Try a 6.2 snapshot (if that's not what you meant by downloaded 7/20).
> > > If that fails, try 7-CURRENT snapshots (most recent ones, i.e. over
> > > the last month, are the best idea). There were a variety of fixes made
> > > to USB input and control (if you're using a USB keyboard instead of a
> > > PS/2 one).
> > > -Garrett
> >
> > Another idea -- update your BIOS if possible via bootdisk. There were
> > most likely some BIOS / chipset fixes done in the past couple months
> > which will benefit your board.
> > -Garrett
>

> I already checked, and my board was shipped with the
> latest BIOS updates (5/10). But thanks for the suggestion.
>
> I had downloaded the 6.2-Release ISOs, I just mentioned
> the date in case anything had been updated in the
> versions online (although I assume they would have been
> noted as such).
>
> How stable/reliable will a 6.2 snapshot or 7-current be?
> This machine is intended to replace my primary home server
> (SAMBA to Windows and Mac, web development sandbox, name
> server, etc.) so data integrity and reasonable uptime
> reliability are key.  (My old 4.2 server is maxed out on
> disks, and has slowly been failing erratically.)
>
> Thanks!
>    -bkc

6-STABLE (Jun07) hung at all the same places as
6.2-RELEASE.

7-CURRENT installed, but couldn't configure the
network properly to ftp packages (haven't had the
chance to experiment further with that yet).

At the moment, I have a developer install (tried to
do X-Developer, but the X.org and X.srv packages
failed to ftp) on my system.  Will see whether this
7-CURRENT install will fulfill my needs, I guess,
since at the moment, I don't really have a choice.

Since I now have a live system (assuming I get the
network running on it) is there any way to build a
custom mod of 6.2-RELEASE with the backported
Marvell driver changes others have posted, and make
an install CD from that?  I really haven't mucked
about with that kind of stuff since FreeBSD 1.1.  :)

(2.x and 4.x just worked smoothly for my systems.)

Unfortunately, I wouldn't really call myself a
programmer anymore, so consider my C/C++ skills
weak/extremely rusty (shell, sed, perl and ruby are
reasonably good still, though, if that helps).

Thanks!
   -bkc