64bit sysv ipc

Dan Gish dan at schoolfusion.com
Fri Jul 20 20:32:02 UTC 2007

Hi,
We are working off the latest 6.2 amd64 snapshot.

# uname -a
FreeBSD anton 6.2-STABLE-200706 FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE-200706 #0: Fri Jul
20 13:17:02 MDT 2007
root at anton:/usr/src/sys/amd64/compile/MYKERNEL  amd64

The system has 8 gigs of memory.  We need to set a high SHMMAXPGS for
Postgresql, and we're unable to set it above 2 gigs.  This message
back in December mentions that "someone needs to go over the sysv ipc
code and make it 64-bit capable":

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2006-December/137633.html

Does anyone have an update on this?  We are close to ditching FreeBSD
in order to use Postgresql in a high memory configuration.

Best Regards,
Daniel