Freeze During Boot With 6.2-RELEASE Install Disk

alex at schnarff.com alex at schnarff.com
Fri Jul 20 17:05:53 UTC 2007

I've got a machine that I'm trying to get 6.2-RELEASE installed on, in
order to act as a backup/test config server for a production box I have
running the same version of FreeBSD. The machine previously had
5.3-RELEASE on a single SCSI disk, with a 4-drive SATA RAID that wasn't
quite working right (according to the previous owner; I just got the
system a few days ago); unfortunately, the system now refuses to
recognize the SCSI disk, even in the Adaptec SCSI card's BIOS.

That said, when I pop in my 6.2-RELEASE boot disk, it comes up, loads
devices, sees the SATA RAID...and then just hangs. I've tried booting
in safe mode and with verbose logging...and it won't work either way,
and I get no error messages.

FWIW, I took the same boot CD and popped it into an Acer laptop I had
handy, and it went straight into the system setup menus, asking me to
choose a country; so the CD itself seems unlikely to be the culprit.
Additionally, I popped an OpenBSD 3.9 boot CD into the freezing
machine, and it came right up to an install prompt -- though it saw the
SATA disks as individual entities, and not a RAID.

Does anyone have any clue what might be causing this, and/or how to
solve it? I'll be happy to provide additional details, I'm just not
sure what would be helpful right now.

Alex Kirk