Possible devd bug

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Fri Jul 20 11:51:40 UTC 2007

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 13:16:23 +0200 (CEST)
Bartłomiej Rutkowski <brutkowski at lerkins.com> wrote:

> From: Bartłomiej Rutkowski <brutkowski at lerkins.com>
> To: Norberto Meijome <freebsd at meijome.net>
> Subject: Re: Possible devd bug
> Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 13:16:23 +0200 (CEST)

Please keep the list in CC.

> Well, I can confirm right now, that devd does not trigger, when you put eth interface into
> DOWN state by "#ifconfig ifnameX down". Now, is that intentional behaviour or a bug?

well..i never expected devd to trigger a LINK_DOWN or UP event when one issues
an ifconfig down. The meanings are different - link up or down means the
physical layer, ifconfig [nic] up/down means 'enable the card in the OS' or, as
the man page puts it :

[...]
     down    Mark an interface ``down''.  When an interface is marked
             ``down'', the system will not attempt to transmit messages
             through that interface.  If possible, the interface will be reset
             to disable reception as well.  .

[...]
     up      Mark an interface ``up''.  This may be used to enable an inter-
             face after an ``ifconfig down''.
[...]

---
you can have a card up or down, with or not link - they are independent. Either
link or interface down means you cannot transmit via it, but for different
reasons.

> This
> makes those LINK_UP devd triggers totally unusable.

no, it makes them perfectly usable for the  intended objectives of devd :)

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on ours.

Warned.