Remote Desktop tool for FreeBSD

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Wed Jul 18 16:25:24 UTC 2007

simon butsana wrote:
> Hi Garett,
>
> I apologize if you saw that as an offense. I never intended to hijack
> anyone's thread, and you will probably notice that I changed the
> subject (although I missed to remove the email body).
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Simon
>
> */Garrett Cooper <youshi10 at u.washington.edu>/* a écrit :
>
>     simon butsana wrote:
>     > Hi,
>     >
>     > Does anyone know of a remote X client that can be used to
>     establish a remote X session with a FreeBSD box.
>     > As an example, I would greatly like to test a tool with features
>     similar to Microsoft's "Remote Desktop".
>     >
>     > Thanks,
>     >
>     > Simon
>     >
>     > Roger Olofsson a écrit :
>     >
>     >
>     > Steve Franks skrev:
>     >
>     >> I just had this problem this week - drives are fine until you
>     access
>     >> one and then disappears.
>     >>
>     >> Checked my bios monitor page and 12V was only 11.8V. Changing
>     from a
>     >> 300W to a 500W power supply magically fixed the problem...
>     >>
>     >> I don't claim that this is necessarily your problem, but it
>     caught me
>     >> off-guard and it's worth looking at.
>     >>
>     >> Steve
>     >>
>     >> On 7/16/07, Roger Olofsson wrote:
>     >>
>     >>> Dear mailing list,
>     >>>
>     >>> I have 2 IBM HDs and one WD HD (ata) in an old pc and for some
>     reason
>     >>> FBSD 6.2 can't find the IBMs on a warm-boot. Cold-boot is fine
>     and, the
>     >>> WD is fine.
>     >>>
>     >>> The motherboard is an old Aopen AX34 and all settings are
>     default except
>     >>> for ACPI that's off.
>     >>>
>     >>> The first thought that came to mind was that one of the IBMs
>     are going
>     >>> bad, but, I find it very unlikely that both HDs are doing it.
>     One is a
>     >>> 120 and one is an 80gigger but both 'vanish' on warm-boot.
>     >>>
>     >>> Some other setting in bios than ACPI?
>     >>>
>     >>> Grateful for any answer,
>     >>>
>     >>> /Roger
>
>     Don't hijack other's threads. It's not polite.
>     -Garrett

    Sorry for putting it so bluntly but I was trying to get a message
across.

    Hijacking others threads unfortunately results in 2 things happening:

1. Posters getting confused.
2. Mailman getting confused and continuing the existing thread of
discussion off the original thread -- which is harder to navigate in the
archives.

    As for remote access tools, look into nomachinex, X11 forwarding and
VNC. There's a variety of discussion in the archives (last discussion on
this topic was back in either April or May I think..).

    Cheers and best of luck,

-Garrett