cron job every 5 hours

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Wed Jul 18 12:29:24 UTC 2007

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 21:53:22 -0700
Garrett Cooper <youshi10 at u.washington.edu> wrote:

>     Shell scripts with sleep won't give you exactly the 5 hours you
> desire, but should come close (within 1-5 seconds of actual time
> depending on your host PC's precision, and whether or not your RTC
> battery is dead ;)..).

I don't think the RTC battery being dead would affect sleep times. 5
hours in 1970 (or whenever) are the the same length as 5 hours now.

If you want to anything more complex than can be achieved with cron,
it's probably better to install one of the cron replacement ports,
such as fcron. I don't see any reason why one of these couldn't run
in parallel with the existing cron, or you can turn-off cron in rc.conf.