moving /home to new drive

Zbigniew Szalbot zbigniew at szalbot.homedns.org
Wed Jul 18 08:26:53 UTC 2007

Hello,

> don't kill /usr/home  :) symlink back to it, or just mount the new drive
> in it - nothing wrong with having a disk mounted in a mount point which
is
> part of the filesystem of another disk - as long as they are mounted in
the
> right order during the boot process.... (eg, i wouldnt put /var/ under
> /usr/ , for example... )

OK. So the procedure could be as follows (?):

1. mv -R /usr/home /usr/home-old
2. rm /home (deleting the symlink)
3. mount /dev/ad3s1c /usr/home
4. cp -pR /usr/home-old/ /usr/home/
5. ln -s /home /usr/home

Is the procedure OK?

One last question - what about fstab file? I guess I need to edit it so
that next time while booting the system, it will mount the new drive as
/usr/home?

Thank you very much!

--
Zbigniew Szalbot