Integrating Postfix + Amavisd-new + Clamav + DSpam + DBmail

Tek Bahadur Limbu teklimbu at wlink.com.np
Tue Jul 17 19:38:11 UTC 2007

Oliver Peter wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 15, 2007 at 05:21:49PM +0545, Tek Bahadur Limbu wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I was wondering if anybody on this list has successfully implemented the
>> following setup on a FreeBSD machine?
>>
>> Postfix + Amavisd-new + Clamav + DSpam + DBmail (PostgreSQL)
>>
>> Can I use the following diagram for this?
>>
>> Postfix --> Amavisd-new --> Clamav --> Amavisd-new --> DSpam --> Postfix
>> --> DBmail-lmtpd --> DBmail-Database?
>>
>> Is this the correct or optimal setup?
>>
>> Being relatively new to the world of MTAs, please forgive me for any
>> naive questions.
>>

>> Any pointers, suggestions and tips will be highly appreciated.
>
> I'm using  FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p2 with Postfix, Cyrus-SASL2, amavisd-new, clamav
> and dbmail (only IMAP with stunnel) with a pgsql backend.

Hi Oliver,

Thanks alot for your reply. I was lost on this one!

> I would like to switch back to a filesystem based e-mail backend
> (maybe dovecot) - feels better to me.  Furthermore I think that dbmail
> has no good pgsql support (it has some bugs with IMAP) -
> maybe you would like to try mysql instead (*hirgs*).

I think that I may have to switch back to Mysql then. I heard that
PostgreSQL is more scalable than Mysql. But I am not an experienced
database user, so, please forgive my little knowledge.

Why do you want to switch back to to a filesystem based e-mail backend?
I suppose storing emails in a database should be more scalable and
flexible in the long run?

> If you would like I can show you my configuration files and table
> structures.

Of course, I would like to see your configuration files. In fact, I am
dying to see it.

I am planning my current setup to be used for a long term basis in a
production environment for a very large user base.

Me and my team are currently just designing and testing it out. It might
take some time before we can put this server in production.

Since I am very new to database terminology, how scalable is a database
in terms of the data storage size. I mean suppose, we have 20000 users
each with a quota of 1 GB. What will eventually happen if they all used
up their quotas. That will be about 20 TB in size!!

Thanking you...

--

With best regards and good wishes,

Yours sincerely,