IBM HDs vanish on warm-boot?

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Tue Jul 17 15:07:02 UTC 2007

On Monday 16 July 2007, Kent Stewart wrote:
> On Monday 16 July 2007, Steve Franks wrote:
> > I just had this problem this week - drives are fine until you
> > access one and then disappears.
> >
> > Checked my bios monitor page and 12V was only 11.8V.  Changing from
> > a 300W to a 500W power supply magically fixed the problem...
> >
> > I don't claim that this is necessarily your problem, but it caught
> > me off-guard and it's worth looking at.
>
> I just finished rebuilding a system that went down on Saturday
> afternoon. It ended up being the power supply. Early on, I probably
> could have just replaced the ps but after a number of fsck's,
> followed by panics, there were files that were linked and etc. and
> the system wouldn't boot into single user mode. A rebuild using a
> brand new HD seemed the logical way out. I could mount the old disk
> and cp important directories or individual files onto the new HD.
>
> It turned out that / was the only one trashed but backup files
> of /etc , /home/user's, and all of the port tarballs were ok.

One thing I forgot and that was the disappearance of the all HDs. You
could cold boot and they were there. The system would panic and it
would ask for a floppy to boot from.

You could cold boot and fsck the HDs, reboot and it would run for a
little bit and then go into the panic and HDs not there loop. It did
this until it trashed ad0 and sh quit loading.

I would lay odds that I could have used the power supply tester and the
ps would test ok until it got under a load and shutdown. I had a ps do
the same thing a couple of months ago but it didn't make HDs disappear.
The system would just shutdown unexpectedly. I never made it to a
buildworld and have it die with a signal 11. Without a load, the ps
would test ok.

A friend who services computers told me that, in his experience, the
pses are typically only lasting 3 years and that I should expect more
of these failures.

Kent

> Kent
>
> > Steve
> >
> > On 7/16/07, Roger Olofsson <raggen at passagen.se> wrote:
> > > Dear mailing list,
> > >
> > > I have 2 IBM HDs and one WD HD (ata) in an old pc and for some
> > > reason FBSD 6.2 can't find the IBMs on a warm-boot. Cold-boot is
> > > fine and, the WD is fine.
> > >
> > > The motherboard is an old Aopen AX34 and all settings are default
> > > except for ACPI that's off.
> > >
> > > The first thought that came to mind was that one of the IBMs are
> > > going bad, but, I find it very unlikely that both HDs are doing
> > > it. One is a 120 and one is an 80gigger but both 'vanish' on
> > > warm-boot.
> > >
> > > Some other setting in bios than ACPI?
> > >
> > > Grateful for any answer,
> > >
> > > /Roger