bonnie++ aborts on NFS volume

Heiko Wundram (Beenic) wundram at beenic.net
Tue Jul 17 06:40:30 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 17 July 2007 08:09:48 Nico -telmich- Schottelius wrote:
> Anyone an idea why it aborts and how to fix?

An idea why it aborts _could_ be the fact that the Linux (kernel) NFS-server
(there's also a userland NFS server, but that's not widely used, so I presume
this isn't the case for you) doesn't unlink files that are unlinked from
remote immediately, but moves them to a temporary (.nfs<someid>) name before
finally truly unlinking them in case the file is still referenced by some NFS
handle (i.e., opened at the remote end), thus causing the directory to not be
empty, even though all files in it have actually been unlinked from the
remote end.

I don't know whether some performance/caching issues cause this, but as the
temporary (seemingly) disappeared when bonnie++ was closed (and thus all file
descriptors of bonnie among with any cache the OS kept freed), I'd guess in
this direction.

Again, this is just a wild guess, and I've never had problems running bonnie++
on a Linux Kernel-NFS-server exported filesystem, but from Linux NFS-clients,
that is, which might (or rather, will probably) behave differently.

--
Heiko Wundram
Product & Application Development

Beenic Networks GmbH