Transparent email proxy

Heiko Wundram (Beenic) wundram at beenic.net
Mon Jul 16 08:11:16 UTC 2007

On Monday 16 July 2007 09:05:56 Daniel Marsh wrote:
> I've never come across anyone using TLS+SMTP, in most cases I've found that
> SMTP is accepted as insecure (esp. over the Internet). If we were talking
> intra-company SMTP over the Internet, different story altogether due to the
> company needing privacy.

Ahemm... That depends largely on the audience you're administering for...

I personally have seen that many large (german) (free-)email providers are
trying to force SMTP through TLS for sending out email through their servers
at the moment, simply because they don't want passwords for logging in to
their service transferred as plaintext (and thereby sniffable by the
provider/network you're using). It's not so much about the mail (content)
itself, it's more about the authentication that's required to relay.

--
Heiko Wundram
Product & Application Development

Beenic Networks GmbH