OT: Does a low-cost, reliable switch exist?

Ask Bjørn Hansen ask at develooper.com
Sun Jul 15 07:44:20 UTC 2007

On Jul 14, 2007, at 7:42 PM, Modulok wrote:

> I run a small network of under 20 clients. As such we don't have
> drop on a Cisco switch. However the desktop consumer grade stuff is
> quickly
> turning me into an insomniac. I'm tired of being woke at 3:00 am to
> go fix
> network problems. Does anyone know if something like this exists? (see
> below)

Call Netgear until they replace them.    I did that with some of my
Netgear switches at home and they've stopped crashing (and the new
models support jumbo frames - the old ones with the same model number
did not...).

I've had good luck with Dell switches in the rack - specifically the
3448 (100Mbit) and 5324 models.   Find them on eBay for respectively
Really Really Cheap and Pretty Cheap.   Good value for the the
price.  I haven't had any break down, but they are cheap enough that
I have spares anyway.

One thing to watch out for is that they are often sold without
rackmount brackets and it's a GIGANTIC PAIN to get them from Dell (at
least we haven't had any luck).

  - ask