how to start apache22 without ssl

pj af.gourmet at videotron.ca
Sat Jul 14 20:44:54 UTC 2007

Norberto Meijome wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 13:27:41 -0400
> pj <af.gourmet at videotron.ca> wrote:
>
>> Somethings isn't quite right here.
>> It was suggested I load the accf_http from the /boot/loader.conf file. I
>> did. So, now I removed the line from /boot/loader.conf; it is empty of
>> any directives. I rebooted and accf_http.ko is no longer in the kernel -
>> according to kldstat.
>
> man loader.conf
>
> Once you understand what loader.conf is for, and what a kernel module is, you
> should understand what has happened.
>
>> ps xa | grep htt gives
>>
>> .... /usr/local/sbin/httpd - DNOHTTPACCEPT
>>
>> Something is fishy here... any thoughts?
>
> nothing fishy at all. read the man, read about kernel modules, read :)
>
>> Why me? I always seem to get these weird anomalies... :(
>
> sorry to break it to you, but odds are it's due to your current lack of
> understanding of the system, rather than the universe poised against you :)
> don't worry, it's fixable (understanding, not the universe ;) ).
>
> Good luck,
> _________________________
> {Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome
>
> "There are two kinds of stupid people. One kind says,'This is old and therefore
> good'. The other kind says, 'This is new, and therefore better.'"
>  John Brunner, 'The Shockwave Rider'.
>
> I speak for myself, not my employer. Contents may be hot. Slippery when wet.
> Reading disclaimers makes you go blind. Writing them is worse. You have been
> Warned.

Well, I don't think the universe is against me. I rather think that
there is a really serious lack of communications skills among many
programmers. I find that often the simplest installations are overly
complicated and "convoluted," if you will. For example, I have been
strugglling with the installation of CUPS. For some reason the CUPS
metaport would not install. I finally decided to install only the
cups-base and then the configuration and implementation were child's
play. No need to install gnu-ghostscript of gutenprint or any of the
other stuff - I just put the ppd file for my specific printer in the
cups/ppd directory, tweaked the configuration and bingo. The same for
OpenOffice.org... I had to figure out a way to simplify the installation
and had no need to go through 12 hours of compilation from the source
code. The binary was a snap, once I figured it out. Apache22 and Samba
had me confused for a while, but with a little help from the mailing
list I got straightened out and it all works like a charm.

But the httpd -DNOHTTPACEPT remains a mystery; after removing the
loader.config entry, I rebooted, checked the kldstat, found the module
no longer loaded in the kernel but the ps waux | grep httpd still came
up with -DNOHTTPDACCEPT. I did not do any further tweaking or make any
changes to apache22 and now it boots correctly and the -DNOHTTPDACCEPT
is no longer there. Now, wouldn't you say that is weird. But then, I do
admit that I do not understand the system.

However, I am the greatest fan of "understanding" you could find. That's
why I ask questions that may seem strange at times.
BTW, my advice to programmers and, for that matter, anyone in any kind
of a project - think about the end user and how he will see the results
of your works, how he will use it without having the "creator's" vision.

I enormously appreciate the help you and everyone who responded were
able to offer. Hope I can do so for others as I grow with the system.
Phil